It‘s still the season of citrus fruit, and there are many juicy and sweet tangerines on the counter.
Have you heard about sponge cake with tangerines? It comes from Italy. It is very soft and gentle. It can be prepared both in a slow cooker and in the oven. Sponge dough can be used to make a wonderful birthday cake or you can eat it for breakfast while sipping your aromatic coffee.
Sponge cake with tangerines
- 90g of flour
- 90g of starch
- 3 eggs
- 100g of sugar
- 50g of seed oil
- 80ml of milk
- Salt q.b.
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 5 mandarins
- Sugar q.b.
- Mix the eggs, sugar and salt with a mixer to form a light foam.
- Sift the flour through a sieve, add baking powder, lemon zest and milk, then mix thoroughly again.
- Add lemon peel to the dough.
- Peel the tangerines and cut them into 2 halves. Line the bottom of a baking dish with parchment paper. Sprinkle sugar on the bottom, lay out the tangerine halves in a row.
- Pour the dough into the mold and bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees for 40 minutes
- Allow the cake to cool and serve
Cooking a cake at home can be beneficial in several ways:
- Freshness: Homemade cakes are often fresher and tastier than store-bought ones as you have control over the ingredients and can make it right before serving.
- Healthier Ingredients: When baking a cake at home, you can control the ingredients that go into it, including the type and amount of sugar, fat, and additives, making it a healthier option than store-bought cakes.
- Cost-effective: Baking a cake at home can be more cost-effective than buying a cake from a store, especially if you have the necessary ingredients already on hand.
- Customization: Baking at home allows you to customize the cake to your preferences and dietary needs, such as making it gluten-free or using organic ingredients.
- Enjoyment: Finally, baking a cake at home can be an enjoyable and rewarding experience, and can be a fun activity to do with family or friends.
Get the best ingredients
There are several places where you can buy organic flour and starch in London, including:
- Whole Foods Market: This supermarket chain offers a wide range of organic flours and starches.
- Planet Organic: Another supermarket chain that specializes in organic products, including flours and starches.
- The Health Store: A health food store that carries a variety of organic flours and starches.
- Infinity Foods: A natural food store that offers a range of organic flours and starches, as well as other natural and organic foods.
- Bulk Market: This zero-waste shop sells a variety of organic flours and starches in bulk, allowing you to buy only the amount you need.
- Borough Market: This historic market in central London offers a variety of organic food options, including flours and starches.
- Online retailers: You can also find organic flour and starch options online, such as Amazon or Ocado.
Get more recipe ideas
by visiting Sunday Cooking: London loves Italy.