My grandmother is of Italian descent. She is a terrific cook, I still wake up dreaming of her lasagne.
She did not always had enough time to cook lasagne or some amazing risotto, but she knew she could make me happy with a very easy and tasty Italian dish “Fettine alla Pizzaiola”.
The recipe is easy, fast, and delicious. You can cook it in around 20 minutes. You need some slices of beef or veal, tomato sauce, garlic and rosemary. My grandmother likes to add also mozzarella and basil.
Fettine alla Pizzaiola
- 2 cooking pan
- 2 tbsp Olive oil extra virgin
- 700 grams Tomato purée
- 2 garlic cloves
- 5 basil leaves Fresh. You shouldn't be able to stop smelling them.
- 1 rosemary leaf Use dry rosemary if you do not have the fresh one
- 500 grams meet beef
- 1 tbsp salt
- Let's prepare the sauce. Peel the garlic. Cut the clove in half and use a knife to pry the germ out.
- Put the olive oil in the pan and turn on the stove. Wait 30-40 seconds and then add the garlic. When the garlic starts turning yellow, add the tomato purée and the basil leaves. Add the salt and cook for 15 minutes.
- Put the meat in another pan and turn on the stove. When the pan is warm, add the meat. The length of time of this step depends on the slices thickness. My grandmother uses very thin slices, it was just cooking them 10-15 seconds per side.
- Turn off the stove with the meat and add the slices to the pan with the tomato sauce. Add the rosemary. Again, the time depends on the slices thickness. If they are thin, keep cooking the sauce for another 5-6 minutes (included the time of the optional step below)
- Cut the mozzarella in thin slices and add them on top of the meat. Keep cooking for a few minutes to melt the mozzarella.